Friday, April 5, 2013

Week 11

        This past week I have been trying to gather more data for my inquiry by observing and giving my teacher a survey to fill out.  I was able to observe one math lesson this week which involved a hands-on portion in the lesson.  The students had to figure out how to make certain shapes with smaller shapes.  So essentially they were working on parts of a whole.  They were able to figure out the problems a lot easier with the manipulatives because they could compare the shapes with the images in their books.
        Similar to my other observations, even though they were a little chatty they were focused on what they were doing and what they needed to complete.  I think it is important to get them interested in what they are about to do in a lesson so they will be more focused and understand better about what they are supposed to do when the time comes.
        I still have a little more research to do in journals and articles but I think it is very helpful to students when they are able to use manipulatives and interact with hands-on activities in a math lesson.  From my observations, it helps them focus on the topic and keeps them interested in it which makes learning and understanding a lot easier for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment