Friday, March 15, 2013

Week 9

        This week has been fairly busy with different assignments and observations in the classroom.  I observed our fourth lesson study this week as well as completed 1 of 3 Social Studies Unit lessons.  The lesson study is always improving and I am getting great experience debriefing about it and learning how to make lessons more effective for the students.  The Social Studies Unit has been successful so far and our students have enjoyed learning about Native Americans.
        This week's reading was about Data Analysis.  One of the main ways I am getting my information is by observing and taking field notes during math class.  I have taken notes on about 3 or 4 math classes that have lined up with my inquiry project and have also taken notes on a non-example math class for my inquiry.  It has been very helpful to see how the students behave depending on how the lesson is presented.  There is a difference between their behaviors when they get to use manipulatives but it also depends if they are doing it in groups or individually.  From my observations so far, they seem to do a lot better in math when they are working individually with manipulatives.  It creates a competitive environment which they all seem to enjoy and keeps them more engaged in the lesson.  I want to interview or survey the students on how well they think they stay focused in math.  I think I might get more honest answers if I give them an anonymous survey to fill out though so I think I might do that.  Hopefully I can get even more information from obeserving and teaching them during math class.

No comments:

Post a Comment