Friday, February 15, 2013

Week 6

        The reading this past week mentioned developing a research plan and differentiated classrooms.  Our field experience has had us do some similar things that would have to be done in developing a research plan.  I have taken field notes, taken up student work, interviewed students, reflected on my experience, taken surveys, and have seen quantitative measures of student achievement.  All of these different strategies have helped me gain more perspective on the classroom environment and the student interactions.
        I have always had a little trouble figuring out how I was going to differentiate my classroom and lessons without it being unfair.  The grade I am working with, 2nd grade, are very set on being fair and if it is not fair, they get extremely upset.  I'm worried that if they see I am changing the lesson for a particular student to make it less or more challenging, they will not understand.  And I do not want to explain to the entire class that I am doing that because this student cannot keep up as quickly as the rest of the class and this student is able to do more than normal.  But I guess over time, the students would get used to this and just let it be without arguing anymore.  We need to try and teach our students that fair does not mean identical treatment but instead means equity of opportunity to grow and succeed.  If we are able to convey that message to the students then they will better understand the concept of differentiated learning and the necessity of it.
        My wondering for my inquiry has been determined and ideally isolated to the subject of math to make data collection a little easier.  My wondering is: how can hands-on activities improve student behavior and learning?

No comments:

Post a Comment