Friday, February 1, 2013

Week 4

        This week was similar to the other weeks that I have been to at this school.  My mentor teacher had me and my partner teach quite a few lessons while we were there.  Our teacher has had us take over Reading instruction whenever we are there and sometimes has us do math and science as well.  This has been great experience for both of us.
        The reading for our seminar  in "Better Learning" was able to connect with something I did during reading instruction last week.  The chapter about guided instruction was very relevant, I thought, with my teaching.  A major part of guided instruction is scaffolding and I did that for the class through my non-examples that I provided.  I was working on grammar with the class about irregular verbs and their past tenses.  The words we discussed were "go", "do", "see", and "say".  They have learned that if the verb is past tense then you add an "ed" to the end of it.  With the words previously stated, that is not the case.  Those words past tense are "went", "did", "saw", and "said".  I know they can hear what sounds correct but not necessarily notice it on paper so I verbally gave them a couple of non-examples to help them figure it out.  Some of the examples I gave them were "I goed to the market" and "I doed my homework".  The class automatically knew it was wrong and what needed to be changed.  After we filled in the correct answers, we chorally read each sentence together to make sure every one sounded right.
        After doing this, I realized that the students really enjoyed correcting my non-examples because they thought it was funny that a teacher said something incorrectly.
Wondering: By making the students become the teachers of the class sometimes, will it help them to understand and be more engaged in a lesson?

No comments:

Post a Comment