Thursday, January 17, 2013

Week 1 & 2

        The past two weeks at my elementary school have been great!  I'm in a second grade classroom  with 19 students.  In my first week, my teacher had plugged me and my partner into teaching different subjects to the class.  I read stories and reviewed vocabulary words with the students throughout the readings.  This was a good way for the students to see that we are teachers, not just volunteers in their classroom.
        The second week of my pre-internship, our teacher had us co-teach an entire day while she did FAIR testing with individual students throughout the day.  She wrote down and planned the whole day for us because there was very little time for preparation and it was very helpful.  We had a few issues with getting the students settled down while teaching some lessons, especially after lunch and free play.  There were times where we actually had to get pretty stern with the students so they knew that we did not appreciate them being disrespectful while we were trying to teach.
        There are a couple of ways that our practicum has related to our reading.  Chapter 1 discussed teacher inquiry which can be used to our advantage.  Some essential points of teacher inquiry are teacher engagement, intentional reflections, and Professional Learning Communities.  We are always engaged with our students and the classroom and are continuously reflecting on our actions and the students' actions to help us be more effective with our teaching.  I also see our weekly seminar as a type of PLC for a group of us (student teachers) to discuss our experiences with our students and teachers with each other.
        Weekly wondering:  How can I present the material of the lesson to the class so they stay engaged?

No comments:

Post a Comment